WEBSITE: Change the CityFair Pages
Working With the Website
Website Cheat Sheet 2016 V1
IMPORTANT: If these aren't done carefully and correctly, we end up needing to go back to FISH for assistance. This should NOT prove necessary! When in doubt about any of these steps, please ASK FOR HELP from the webmaster. Thanks!
You should ABSOLUTELY reference this web page for additional necessary information:
Example of Things to Remember: Check image SIZES. Be sure you're adding target=_blank to all links. Be sure you're CODING the at symbol in email addresses.
ANNUAL SETUP OF THE CITYFAIR PAGES PRIOR TO PAGE EDITS
ONE PERSON should ideally do every step -- 1-21.
1. Log in to the Rose Festival WordPress site. This is done at the website. Scroll to footer at the bottom of any page and click the Member Login link. Follow the links. Enter your information and click the Log In button. (Note: Sometimes you'll have to do this TWICE. Ignore the cookies message and try again if necessary.)
2. In the Dashboard, go to Events.
3. Under Filters & Columns, use the Add a Filter drop-down to select Title (if necessary). In the Search window, type: cityfair -- click the blue Apply button.
4. You should now see a LIST of all the CityFair pages at our website. You're going to need to pay attention to the DATE and the ID number.
Never delete ID 1762 -- this is the MOTHER page for all CityFair pages.
Never delete ID 5748 -- this is the PRIMARY page for all CityFair pages.
5. Start with ID 1762. Click Edit. You're going to make SEVERAL changes to this page.
6. Note that the main body area of this page is BLANK. Scroll down to EVENT TIME & DATE. Change the date to the current year -- the FIRST day of CityFair for this year. Both Start Date & Time AND End Date & Time should be THE SAME DAY. Change the times accordingly. Recurrence should be NONE.
7. Scroll down looking at the right-hand column. Under Categories make sure Waterfront is select. Under Event Pricing Options make changes as necessary.
8. Scroll to Event Alternate Option. In Alternate Dates list the current year dates.
9. Unter Alternate Times, list the current year times.
10. The Event Logo and Sponsors Logo windows should be EMPTY.
11. IMPORTANT: Note under Event Options - Hide from Event Listings - is SELECTED!
12. Click the blue Update button.
13. Go to ID 5748. Click Edit. You're ALSO going to make several changes to this page. Go back to step 6 and follow the steps through 12.
IMPORTANT NOTE: ID 1762 and ID 5748 should end up IDENTICAL, except that ID 1762 is hidden.
Now you need to make CALENDAR changes!!!
14. Go back to the Dashboard and go to Events -- search on Title 'cityfair' and hit the blue Apply button.
15. You now need to carefully scroll through each of the CityFair pages, looking at the dates. Find the earliest dated page from last year. (This will be a May date.) When you've found the earliest page, click Edit.
16. The most important change to this page will be the DATE and TIMES. Scroll down to EVENT TIME & DATE. Change the date to the current year -- the SECOND day of CityFair for this year. Both Start Date & Time AND End Date & Time should be THE SAME DAY. Change the times accordingly. Recurrence should be NONE.
17. Scroll down the right-hand column to the Static Event Parent URL. In the Static Parent URL you should have the following link:
NOTE: If it's already there, you don't need to do anything. If it's missing, you need to add it.
18. Scroll back up and click the blue Update button.
19. Go back to the Dashboard and go to Events -- search on Title 'cityfair' and hit the blue Apply button.
YOU ARE GOING TO REPEAT STEPS 15 THROUGH 18 WITH EACH PAGE OF CITYFAIR.
20. When you've finished, you need to CHECK YOUR WORK. Go to the Home page and then navigate to Events > Calendar in the main menu. Scroll down the page and be sure EVERY day of CityFair now displays. If you want, you can test each entry by clicking on the link.
21. Finally, navigate to Events > Waterfront > CityFair in the main menu.
Every link should take you to:
EDITING THE CITYFAIR PAGE FOR CONTENT AND SPONSOR LOGOS/LINKS
22. To make content edits to the CityFair page after this point, login to the Rose Festival WordPress, go to the CityFair page and click Edit Page on the black WordPress bar at the top of the page.
23. It's a good idea to COPY AND PASTE (save) the existing Copy/Text somewhere else -- just in case! Keeping the text -- plus all the special coding -- can save everybody lots of time down the road.
24. When you've finished editing, be sure to click the blue Update button to finish.
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR WORK AT THE WEBSITE TO BE SURE IT'S DISPLAYING PROPERLY!